I don't know how women on the American Frontier were able to hold on to their sanity without any socializing, raising a dozen kids without play dates, phones, internet, PBS kid television, or neighbors. My kids have been sick for just under a week and I am already climbing the walls, yearning to get out and see friends or go to the park.
Tonight Chloe hugged my legs while I was standing in the kitchen and said tenderly, "Mom, you love me." It's good to know the message has gotten through. It has been a tough year for me, not working at all. Instead of my professional clothes, I find myself wearing pajama-like attire that has snot trails and dirt up until as far as Tristan can reach (about mid thigh). Instead of eating a cafeteria lunch with co-workers, I'm eating macaroni and cheese off of a pink plastic plate. If I could find a one-day-a-week kind of job here, I'd snatch it up. But I'm not willing to give up my Mac 'n' Cheese any more than that. Yes, Chloe, I do love you.

No comments:
Post a Comment