Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Lots and Lots of Family Time





Dane and Finn enjoying what would be their last day of going to the Oasis Park play place, before life grounded to a halt due to the coronavirus.


Getting some sunshine at a neighborhood park


Tristan taking care of baby brother


Logan looking tough while Joss plays with Finn




Covid-19 can't keep these kids down.  Dane climbs his first tree and, like the monkey he is, finds he's adept at it.


It hit 60 degrees and the shirts came off.  They wanted to attach the hose (which is still detached because it's freezing at night sometimes) and have a water party.  Crazy kids.


Since the quarantine, the girls have spent much of their time Facetiming friends.  I climbed up onto the top bunk without them even noticing me. . . 


until now.  Didn't realize I'd been so stealthy until the shrieking began.



Chloe and I are ready to go to Walmart.  I tried to sew cloth masks for the hospital, but I'm not the seamstress Becky is.  It looks like I'm wearing a baby blanket on my face.


This is my second one.  The elastic is so tight it's pulling Logan's ears forward so he looks like Dopey.  I decided I can help society in other ways that don't require sewing.




Aunt Sari bought quarantine presents for the kids, including this jewelry making set.  The girls have made enough earrings to start an online store.



The boys got Nerf guns and a RC car.  Since then I've been cocking the gun for Finn every 30 seconds.  He needs to build some muscle.


Chloe gets creative with some weaving on a cereal box and the boys start Life Lists (lists with the species of birds seen over your lifetime) after some nature walks around the neighborhood.



Enjoying the snow while social distancing.



Finn likes to play in the snow until his hands get cold, and then he runs into the house and sticks his icy fists down my shirt to warm them up.


The whole gang


Uncle Garrett has been staying with us for about a week and a half now, telecommuting for work from our bedroom every day.  He drove Dane around the neighborhood on the electric Moped tonight and brought him back safe and sound.  With Dane in full toddler mode most of the time, I half expected Garrett to ditch him in a cornfield somewhere.



Here is a schedule I found on the table that Chloe had made.  She loves stuff like this -- organizing, binders, clipboards, schedules, etc.  

I brought out the new schedules for the kids tonight that I slaved over today, and they’re already saying things like, “Aw, Mom.  Sister So-and-so tried that with her kids and it didn’t go so well,” and “What if we don’t follow the schedule?”  (Except for Chloe, of course, who shouted gleefully, "Schedgy!!" She habitually shortens words and adds "y"s to the ends.)  I have confidence the schedules will work because I'm bribing them with some candy that Aunt Sari sent for Easter.

Although we've done Zoom for Finn's speech therapy, Google Hangouts for a school meeting for Joss' Section 504 (for the OCD and phobias), and Facetime for Chloe's flute lessons, everything else has just been family time for the last 2 weeks.  It's easier for an introvert like me, but Landon is starting to wilt from the lack of social watering.  The kids start e-learning tomorrow after a long break, and I'm nervous that I won't be able to keep up with all of the assignments for the 4 that are in school.  I'm already buried in a mountain of emails their many different teachers sent out this week in preparation for tomorrow.

In conclusion, here are a couple of paragraphs from Logan's essay on the novel coronavirus that he wrote for school.  So long, Grandma and Grandpa.  LOL

I am helping the coronavirus not grow by trying not to touch my face with my hands and staying at my house, even though it’s boring.  I go outside often to bird watch and I watch TV. I have to do school and church at home.
I am not scared because I know I’m probably not going to get the virus.  But I’m a little worried that I might get it, but it won’t kill me because I’m a young, healthy boy.  But I think my grandparents might get it and they might die.


No comments: