Alana and Jarrod Lund (or the Gentle Giants, as Joss calls them) invited us to go with them to Lake Michigan for a fun day of hiking and swimming in August. I like to think we've helped prepare the Lunds for the chaos that will follow the birth of their identical twin girls in the spring.
Dane started kindergarten this year! It was a rocky start, and he had to spend a lot of teary moments in the classroom's "peace pool," a blow-up kiddie pool in the walk-in closet that's filled with stuffed animals. After a few days I started giving him a cookie each afternoon if he didn't cry or complain about going to school. Then all of the kids were lining up and telling me that they hadn't cried at school, either, and I was going through a lot of cookies! Finally, I cut everyone off after 3 months.
Logan started 4th grade and his teacher is in our stake. After seeing several Fs and Ds on Logan's vocabulary tests, I decided to help him study. The obstacle with Logan is that if he doesn't care about something, nothing can motivate him to work. So Landon and I told him that if he got an "A" on his next vocabulary test, he could stay up and watch the BYU football game with us Saturday night. So he studied hard and turned in his test Friday afternoon, only to realize that his teacher wasn't going to grade it until later. So he explained the situation and asked her to grade it then and there. Fortunately, instead of being annoyed, she said, "Of course, Buddy! I'm going to watch that game, too!" He got an "A".
Tristan's first year of middle school is killing me. His teachers pile on so much homework that I'm up with him late into the night. One night he was so sleepy I finally had him give me the assignment and I did it while explaining the answers to him. I'm learning a lot this semester.
When Chloe and Tristan walked into the house after school last Friday, Chloe blurted out, "Tristan is Student of the Month!" It was sweet to see how genuinely proud she was of her little brother. I told Tristan that all his hard work must be impressing his teachers. He replied that it could be that, but it's more likely because he always greets his teachers in the hallways and says, "Bye! Have a great rest of the day!" as he leaves each classroom. So cute.
Chloe is breezing through 8th grade, earning all A's the first quarter. She's still taking flute lessons and enjoying young women's activities. Her newest hobby is indexing and making family history quizzes for our family to do so we can learn more about our ancestors.
As soon as school starts, soccer is in the air! Tristan, Logan, and Dane all did soccer this year, despite the COVID-19 pandemic. It was a lot of fun to watch them play and see their growth, but Landon and I are also relieved the season's over so we're no longer scrambling to evening practices and 3 soccer games each Saturday.
Dane especially developed his soccer skills over the season and managed to score 3 goals for his team!
Gearing up for a soccer game with all the necessities in our soccer wagon (pizza, jackets, folding chairs, etc.).
Finn contemplates future careers
The girls are enjoying the tie-dying kit from Grandma and Grandpa.
Finn and I treasure our time together at home while the kids are at school. He likes to sit on the counter and help in the kitchen, but I've always got to keep an eye on the peanut butter. Notice the old piece of toast in the toaster behind him. The kids frequently put bread in the toaster and then walk away and forget about it, making it a graveyard of forgotten toast.
Finn at the local zoo. He liked the wallaby exhibit the best.
When Chloe's door jammed and she was trapped inside her room, Dad came dramatically to the rescue.
Dane was the first (and only, so far) of us to get a COVID test after coming down with a sore throat and fever. Fortunately, it was negative and all the kids were able to resume school after a couple of days.
The girls showing off their new braces
Matchy-matchy
When you're exhausted but your mom makes you floss before bed
We drove an hour away to see the sandhill crane migration at sunset on Saturday. It was beautiful! On the way home we stopped at a diner/railroad museum and enjoyed some burgers. The little guys loved watching the train zip around the room.
Raking for a youth service activity last weekend. Chloe and Jocelynne were good little workers, raking up a storm and never complaining.
Joss and Chloe conquering leaves with Angie Janes, our amazing YW president






















No comments:
Post a Comment