Sunday, March 18, 2018

Olympic Champs


We'll have to tell the insurance company it is "hail damage."  Relax, Sari -- just kidding.  No damage.


We were glued to the TV every night for two weeks as we watched the winter Olympics.  The kids made up ice skating routines on the trampoline and have begun exercising so they'll be ready to compete one day.  Tristan assured me that he's not one of those kids who peters out after a couple of days -- he's in it to win it!



The charming young women of the Lafayette, Louisiana Ward


"I AM smiling, Mom!"


Landon took the kids to a Mardi Gras parade while Finn and I stayed away from the crowds and projectiles.



The kids made themselves gold medals before we watched the olympics.


After the kids begged Landon for months to go camping, he relented and took them to a nature preserve in town.  I think they just wanted the s'mores.


The smoke must be blowing Tristan's way.


Dane turned out to be a great camper!


I wasn't such a great camper.  After one of our friends' kids pulled down his diaper and peed all over Tristan and his sleeping bag, I gathered up the dirty linens and took them home to wash.  Lucky Finn and I enjoyed the comfort of our luxurious king-sized bed. 


Dane's sleep cycle: Go!Go!Go!Go!CRASH!


Finn chills on his cushion in the kitchen while I cook and do dishes.  

Big news: we're moving!  Landon accepted a job in West Lafayette, Indiana at Purdue University!  He'll be modeling bobcat movements.  While he's slightly disappointed that he won't be working with birds and seed dispersal, he says that carnivores are pretty cool.  We're hoping to move after the kids get out of school at the end of May.  Jocelynne cleverly said that then we'll be "The Indiana Joneses."

Finn continues to be an angelic baby.  He endures with grace the gobs of slobbery kisses and high-pitched salutations from his siblings.  He loves to snuggle all day and particularly enjoys sleeping cuddled up to my chest at night.  He's chunking up nicely and is my first baby to not drop off the pediatric weight charts like a boulder rolled off a cliff.  We all have fun squishing his chubby cheeks and thighs.

After scoring in the 98th percentile for reading and the 97th percentile for math on a standardized test (the NWEA), Logan was asked by his teacher to take the test for entrance to the gifted program.  He hung his head and said, "Mom, I don't want to."  I assured him he could get a slushy from Sonic if he just took the test.  He rapidly agreed.

Jocelynne continues to be a bookworm (although she doesn't like that term because bugs and critters creep her out) and devours books as fast as I can bring them home from the library.  She excels in social studies and science, mainly because she likes her teachers in those classes.  It's amazing what a difference a teacher makes!

Chloe checked out a book on how to draw rainforest animals and is becoming an expert at drawing pirhanas and parrots.  Besides drawing, she likes to go to her friend Kaia's house and do tricks on the trampoline. 

Tristan got a fishing pole and tackle box for his birthday (thanks, Becky and Gerald!) and was able to test it out during our camping trip this month.  Although his bait was nibbled on a couple of times, he didn't catch anything.  He and I stayed home from church today with colds.  When I walked into the living room this morning, I caught him reading the Book of Mormon aloud to Finn.  Sweet boys.






No comments: