Friday, August 20, 2010

Grandmommy's Alter Ego

Pictures: Strike a Pose (in Chloe's dress); Chloe and Tristan fend for themselves in the wild; cats Joss and Chloe; Tristan the self-feeder



















Last night at the dinner table I had the kids eat a tiny salad before the main course. After much cajoling, Joss tried a bite of cucumber. Her face lit up as she exclaimed, "Mom, I like it! I'm Cucumber Girl!" Then Chloe gazed at her pile of greens in dismay and sighed, "I want to be Cereal Girl."

Jocelynne gave a report on her schoolmates, saying that in her class there are "some new ones and some brown ones." I began to formulate in my mind a way to talk about differences and loving all people when Joss said sulkily, "I want to be brown, Mom. I don't like having blonde skin."

Then we started talking about hair, and Chloe said that the Sea Witch has white hair. "Who else has white hair?" I asked to get them thinking. When Jocelynne agreed that Great Grandmommy has white hair, Chloe burst out incredulously, "Great Grandmommy's the SEA WITCH?!"

Tristan is still grunting and pointing, but he's added a little signing vocabulary to help him communicate. And when we're not paying attention or meeting his needs, he let's us know by biting us. He frequently nips the back of my thigh while I'm working at the counter in the kitchen, and poor Chloe has sets of teethmarks on her back and hands. Tristan is acquiring his own collection of war wounds as Chloe has adapted by biting back. I'll have to buy them muzzles. I'll have to be sure I don't use their kiddy-leashes and their muzzles at the same time or they'll look like pets.

No comments: