Monday, September 20, 2010

Slow School and Pink School






Tristan had some good news and some bad news this week. The ophthalmologist found that Tristan's eyes were (barely) within normal limits, so no nerdy toddler glasses needed. The pediatrician, on the other hand, found Tristan's silence abnormal and is sending the state in to evaluate his speech (or lack thereof). Landon and I still aren't worried about it, though. He makes plenty of baby talk noises and signs what he wants. Landon thinks the verbal delay is due to learning a second language, although I'm not sure Tristan hears enough French to support that theory. My theory is he's so darn cute that he gets whatever he wants without needing to ask for it. :)

Jocelynne came home and started speaking gibberish at the dinner table last week. I smiled and said something like "that's great Hon." Later I asked Landon if he understood anything Joss had tried to say. He smiled and responded that she had said, "Put your hand on your heart." Then she'd proceeded to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. All in French. So proud. Now she's working on not cheating on her schoolwork. Nonna used the euphemism "being resourceful" because Joss didn't know it was wrong to ask a friend to do her work or copy Marley's paper.

Sometimes after Joss sings a new song from school or recites something in French, Chloe gets our attention and then sings a "song" -- a word salad to a rambling tune. Or she'll make up a word. And then she'll proudly announce, "I learned that at my Pink School." She's been attending this mythical school since Joss started kindergarten.

Landon has a full semester and went on a mammology field trip last weekend. He's gone every other Sunday for his stake calling, so I was sad to lose him this Sunday as well. Turns out, I wasn't overwhelmed with the children in Sacrament meeting like I thought I'd be, as the girls sneaked into the bench behind me and refused to come back.

I have 6 piano students now. I'm enjoying my calling as Laurel's advisor. And I'm still learning new things as a domestic goddess here at home, like how to change my van's headlight and how to sprout wheat. Life is good.

Pictures: My leg after being in the garden for an hour without mosquito repellent; Impromptu family photo while cleaning the kids' room before bedtime; Tristan with apple slices (notice the constant drool dripping from the chin); Demur ballerinas; Uncovering the Mystery of the Luke-Warm Showers

No comments: