Friday, April 27, 2012
Bagworm Pets
Jan is another American living here on the CATIE campus. We met at the bank, and since we were both starved for English conversation, we quickly became friends. We visit her on Sundays and she usually has homemade treats for us.
Hennia with Chloe and Logan.
Logan has figured out where I keep the sugar. After he tipped the container over twice and pawed through it like a bear after honey, I moved it to the countertop. Hennia, not knowing why it was out of place, put it back in the cupboard today and Logan struck gold again.
We paint faces to add spice to everyday life.
http://plantingpinellas.blogspot.com/2009/11/plaster-bagworm.html
These little creatures aren't dangerous, just creepy. They build a bag around themselves with lint, hair, paint, and fibers of whatever else they can find. The worm can stick it's head out of either side of it's bag. It eats clothes and spiderwebs, and they're a common nuisance in homes here.
http://www.travelcostarica.nu/indigenous-costa-rica
The indigenous people here fascinate me. I see them once in a while in town, and I try not to stare as I think of heroes of mine like Moroni and Ammon, wondering if they're distant relatives.
We still don't have driver's licenses yet, so the crazy schedule continues. I had to stand in the bus for the first time I can remember last week. Usually someone gives up his seat for me because I'm carrying the baby. This time I traveled baby-less and paid for it. While the other bus-standers seemed to sway with the bus like seaweed in the tide, I was stumbling around and bumping into the people next to me whenever the bus changed course. Soon I adopted a bow-legged, half-squatting stance that helped, but looked ridiculous. Nobody else had to shed their dignity to stay upright.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Thank you for writing about your interesting life so that we all can snoop into it. You will be so glad that you documented this particular chapter of life when you return home to a more boring life.
Your bus stance reminds me of my baby, who is learning to stand. I like to think of it as a heroic stance.
By indigenous, do you mean Costa Ricans or a more specific group of people?
@ Shae: thanks for always seeing the positive. @Shauna: by indigenous I mean the people who populated Costa Rica before the Spaniards colonized the country in the 1500s. Only 1 percent of Costa's Rica's 3 million people are of indigenous heritage now, many of the natives having died of European diseases early on.
wow! That is fascinating. How many cultures can blame near-extinction on colonizing Europeans, I wonder? Do the indigenous people look very different from other Costa Ricans? Do they live separately, like Pygmys? Should I just look this stuff up myself? :)
Wow, a third comment from me! Actually, I have a question and don't have an email address for you. Would you be willing to guest post on my blog next week on motherhood? I'd love to hear about mothers in Costa Rica and about your experience there. Please email me at shaunadeehrest(at)gmail{dot}com.
Post a Comment